Serenity ... What's That?

Sunday, February 26, 2006

First post of this year? Wow...

Yeah, well, things have been up and down so I haven't felt like posting. Sue me :) Actually, I've been writing in my journal more than here, cause that kind of stuff is not for public consumption.
Besides, I don't really have a whole lot to say right now. Nothing I want to share at any rate.
Told ya, I'm being boring. Snooze city, that's for sure. The only thing that's happening is Wed. the 8th when my good friend Steve Obermiller will be performing as a showcase artist at the Blue Neon in Fort Worth. Show starts at 8! Look, it's not even MY life that I get to write about. Sheesh... This is unacceptable.
How about - mom duties! Yeah, that's the ticket. Connor has started fencing lessons! He's really digging it, even though they haven't (and won't) get to actually work with the foils for another week. The instructor wants to make sure that they are comfortable with the foot movements before she lets 'em have a go at it with weaponry.
Anything else to report? Umm, yeah. I can't believe I forgot about this. Most of y'all know it already, but I had the bird flu to ring in the new year. Not a good omen, huh? It was truly the most horrid illness I think I've ever experienced. Ugh. At least it wasn't the kind that'll kill you (quoting my doc there). In fact, here's how she told me I had it: "You're very, very sick. You're highly, highly contagious." (please note her lovely use of double emphasis words) "You have Type A Flu, which is a version of the bird flu, but don't worry, it's not the kind that'll kill you!" Geez, you think she could have started with that part!!!
Anyway, I'm much better now, but damn, it sucked the big one!!

Baseball tickets for opening day go on sale March 4. What a perfect day for the new Rangers season! It's all about the optimism, right? Right!

So the scuttlebutt this year was supposed to be that Connor & I were going to Europe and do the whole fun thing, but we've decided to wait and save more money for next year so that we can go with absolutely clear minds and fat wallets! Instead, I'll be going to conference in Atlanta in July. (Yes, I rejoined RWA now that the censor Nazis have been ousted - buncha panty wads disgracing the name of diva). Oh, but I'm so not bitter about that, can you tell? I hate that I missed out on a good portion of the year, but I'll be damned if my money was going to subsidize the censorship and ruination of anyone's career, especially over something MOST authors have no damn control over. Whatever.
Getting past that... eventually ... I'll be with my best pal Susan Gable and we're going to really tear up the town. Both of us are ready for fresh new writing starts. We've changed quite a lot in our professional writing lives and I think we're both on the brink of something very very fun. I plan on it being a bang up trip! And profitable. She'll come back with an agent and I'll come back with a request for the book I've finished! Finished, you hear me? Um, yeah, I'm still writing the book, but I am an optimist, damn my eyes.
Some days I wish I could be unemotional and completely devoid of outside attachments (read: MEN SUCK, related ones excluded)but we all know that is so not me. Good grief, I give new meaning to the term girly girl.
But if there was one aspect of myself I could change (and believe me, I NEVER thought I'd say this) it would be that I wouldn't be so emotional. I now envy those people who are able to remain aloof, who can cut someone to ribbons without blinking an eye. I've suffered a lot in the last year, at the hands of friends and lovers, and believe me, I wish I could be the uber-bitch in those situations. But friendship excuses and forgives most things. And love, despite our fervent wishes, sometimes never goes away.

Blech. Enough of that crap, too. Boy when I whine, I do it up good, huh?

I hope to have one other trip planned this year: Christopher and I's high school, Zweibrucken American High School is having its annual renuion in San Antonio. I am so there! It will be great to mingle with other brats and hopefully see a bunch of the Texas brats we've got here. If you're a Trojan and don't know about the reunion, check it out on the site: zweihigh.org. Hey Chris, got the newest newsletter and they've got almost all the yearbooks on CD! oooohhh....

Okay, go back to sleep, peeps and maybe next time I'll have something of real value to dish on - but I wouldn't hold my breath or anything.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeaahhhh, taking on Atlanta! And we will BOTH have finished books by then, you hear me?

    Yeah, men suck. :-/

    And so does the flu. Sometimes it's hard to say which is worse. (G)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home